2006-01-04

on rambling

There are times in life when everything seems to line up just right. I think that’s kind of how this blog has come about. A friend here (shout out to Phil and Philip) and a friend there (props to Tom) brought it up in a simple and serious way and the idea just didn’t leave me. That’s probably only part of it though; I can’t help but think there’s more to it. After all, life sometimes plops me down in funny places that put me in funny moods. I try to remember that it’s best to keep a sense of humour, though. Laughing has a way of taking the sting out of the cuts and scrapes of living. Even at the best of times, moments when my soul is singing along, sometimes I feel an emptiness, a hollow kind of loneliness that creeps in and puts me under its great shadow. Maybe that doesn’t make much sense, but I’m seeing more and more that living is a paradox: I feel that hollow feeling, where everything seems to be crumbling away, but at the same time, I feel so loved and so grateful for my brilliant friends and family. It comes down to something like you can’t conceive of loneliness unless you can conceive of love.

And so, I ramble on thru life. It’s a good name for the blog, I think. I looked “ramble” up in the dictionary—to ramble: wander around in a leisurely, aimless manner; talk or write in a discursive, random way; walk without a definite route, taken merely for pleasure; or (my favourite) grow in a random, unsystematic fashion. I think that last one refers to plants or vines, but it’s probably closest to what I’ll be rambling on about. Straying from one bit to another, just writing about whatever comes. But I should mention that I also have a tendency to ramble about (as in wander off). For instance, I just got back from Phoenix three days ago. Every once in awhile, I just seem to get that itch, and I go wandering off. Or rambling on...

4 Comments:

Blogger Stuart said...

tender is the ghost...
nice blog. Nice name. Don't commit the most frequently committed crime in the blogging world and let your blog go unchanged for months at a time. seriously. I'll keep in touch through this. As for my blog, I haven't written on it in at least 7 months, so I'll get on that and send you a link once it's less embarassing.
Later man!

11:33 am  
Blogger Stuart said...

this is stuart by the way...got the blog off cheeky. Nice.
How was feenix?

11:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome to the blogosphere - that parallel reality of people who know what it's all about yet live in the one that makes real (un)sense most of the time. kinda like being a Christian in this world.
-- from philadelapatha

7:51 pm  
Blogger The Hippie Triathlete said...

Hi Chris! Jen here. I just found your blog via Steve's. Funny how we both came to "rambling" for our blog names, completely independently of each other. Must be an English-major thing.

Good writing! I liked the observation that you can't conceive of lonliness unless you can conceive of love. I guess you could substitute "experience" for "conceive" as well.

I miss the Ellice Cafe. (I worked there last summer.) Give it a hug for me.

3:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home